Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Melody's New Brace

Yesterday Melody traded in her Pavlik Harness for a Rhino Cruiser Hip Abduction brace. The Pavlik was not working, so she has moved on to the next option for her unstable hip. Once again, we are praying this will solve the issue.

As with anything new, this brace is taking some getting used to. The biggest hurdle is that she can no longer ride in her infant car seat with it. The doctor wants her to wear it "full time," so that is obviously an issue. The orthodics provider which fitted her with the brace was of no help whatsoever as far as the carseat. "I can't legally advise you to have her wear it in a carseat!" I spent the afternoon on-line doing research and then last night Kevin and I were off to the store to attempt to find a seat that works. They make a special one that sells for $500, so we were trying to avoid that. We did find one and brought it home. Yesterday I had to take Melody's brace on and off each time we got in and out of the van.



Today I have spent much of the day trying to install the car seat and get it to work with Melody's brace. A rolled up towel and t-shirt and a removed base, and I currently have it working, However, the driver's seat in the van is forward almost as far as it will go. This works okay for me, but means that Daddy will never be able to drive Melody anywhere. Obviously, my work is yet finished.

The carseat issue seems to be the biggest hurdle. Melody is able to sleep on her stomach in this brace, and has been sleeping normally, so that is a HUGE praise. I have to take it all off to change diapers, but it is only 3 velcro straps, so not too bad. It takes about 10 minutes each time.

The brace has two straps that go around her thighs and one that goes around her belly. It appears that wearing onesies is the best choice to keep it from irritating her belly.

The brace is very hard, so it a bit uncomforable while she is sitting on my lap, and is very slippery. It is heavy and awkward to manuver her in it, but it does have a pretty good "handle" in a couple of places.

Here's her cute caboose!
I am having fun putting her in outfits she hasn't been able to wear for months. Last night she actually wore a sleeper to bed and I'm giddy about her wearing pants and shoes! I'll be shopping for legging with longer shirts and dresses to go over them. Bulky pants aren't very good under the brace as they bunch up.
I must admit the last couple of days have been a challenge. I wish it were easier. However, life will never be easy for Melody. So many things will pose problems and we'll have to find ways to "make it work." As much as I want to scream and chew out car seat manufacturers and orthodics providers, I need to face the facts. I need to approach each new challenge with a "we'll find a way to make this work" attitude. Melody and I are going to need that. As well as passels of creativity. Oh, and a boatload of humor wouldn't hurt, either.


4 comments:

  1. Hi Sara,
    I stumbled upon your blog while researching the Rhino Cruiser Brace.
    My daughter was placed in a spica cast because of DDH (Developmental dysplasia of the hip) and we've been going through the same hurdles as you and your family have.
    I wanted to suggest looking for a Sunshine Kids Radian car seat. It has very low sides, enabling your little one to sit safely and properly in the car seat. I purchased the car seat a few months ago when we started our spica cast journey and couldn't afford to purchase the Britax Hippo (the seat meant for children in the cast/brace).
    If you would like more information.. feel free to email me at brianna.laroy@gmail.com.
    P.S. Melody is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hello Sara, I came about your site while searching for Rhino brace. My daughter is diagnosed with DDH. She have been wearing Pavlik harness for 2 months now. Based from her last Xray, it still showing mild dislocation of the hips. My biggest dilemna is we live in the Philippines. There are no manufacturer of braces here just like what you have in the US. Is there any chance your brace is still with you? Looking at this post, seems already 2 years ago. Hopefully you still have it with you. We are also praying very hard for baby's hips healing. If you still have the brace, may I buy it?


    Thanks, Guane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To Guane, the person who commented above, just a couple of weeks ago--I wonder if you couldn't contact Shriners Hospitals for Children. http://www.shrinershospitalsforchildren.org/ They are treating my son. It seems that they could make arrangements with your physician to get your daughter what she needs. I would hope so anyway.

      Delete
  3. I also stumbled on your blog searching for a picture of the Rhino brace to send to my family (google images picked up one of your photos). My 7-month old has been in the pavlik for 3 months and just traded it for a Rhino today. He will be in it for 4 more months but only part-time/at night.
    To Guane, the person who commented above, just a couple of weeks ago--I wonder if you couldn't contact Shriners Hospitals for Children. http://www.shrinershospitalsforchildren.org/ They are treating my son. It seems that they could make arrangements with your physician to get your daughter what she needs. I would hope so anyway.

    ReplyDelete