Monday, August 9, 2010

A Life Well Lived

Saturday evening we received a phone call that my Grandfather, Walter Louis Coats, had passed away. He was 97 years old and had just moved into a care facility in the last month. Other than debilitating back pain, he was in good health. Then one day, he was gone. Faster than we expected, but we find ourselves thankful he is free from pain.

After 97 years of life, there really isn't much to complain about. Grandpa lived life well. He loved and served the Lord. He was a hard worker and this might be the first year he didn't put in a garden! If I'm gardening at 96, I'll consider that a monumental achievement.

I remember the twinkle in his eye he would get when telling a funny story or joking. He had fun little "toys," an accordian, or stuffed birds that made noise. Grandpa loved birds. What wonderful memories I have of visits to my Grandparents home in Emmett, Idaho.

I'm so thankful for a heritage of faith. It is an incredible blessing to have Godly grandparents who were faithful to each other and the Lord for so many years. I will be heading to Idaho this week to celebrate Grandpa's life. What a blessing to celebrate a life well lived. May the same be said of me someday.

No comments:

Post a Comment