Thursday, March 24, 2011

Standing!

Here is Melody practicing standing with her air braces.

Melody's legs continue to get stronger.  Her PT has given us some air splints to use to mimic knee braces.  They work a bit, but I'm pretty sure a hip brace will be needed as well as the knee brace. 
She tends to sit on the top of these. :) 

Her PT has scheduled a consult with the orthodics company in a few weeks, so we will see if they agree with our assessment that Melody needs HKAFO's.  (hip, knee, ankle and foot orthotics).  Currently she has AFO's.  We are hopeful that the HKAFO's will not be a permanent brace, but rather a step toward helping Melody learn to walk. 

With the right motivation, Melody really works her legs out reaching for things.  The older kids ninetendo DS, my cell phone and Joel's domino train are all things that will motivate her to push up on her legs and reach.  She has been enjoying playing with the domino train while standing at the table in the picture above.  Yesterday, when I didn't have time to help her stand, she got so angry.  Sitting by the table was NOT what she had in mind.  Now that she knows she can stand and reach and see everything. 

I tear up often when I am working with her on standing.  Just feeling her using her knees and hips is such a blessing.  In pictures you can see that I am assisting her, but you can't see how it feels when I know I'm not helping her.  I can tell she is getting stronger, too.  I can't tell you how joyful I will feel the day I can set Melody down in public ON HER FEET!  I have faith that day is coming, and what a day it will be. 

2 comments:

  1. I teared up too! Wow, this is incredible! Praise the Lord!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like fun. Thanks for the update on Melody.

    ReplyDelete