Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Pavlik Update

It has now been 12 days since Melody began wearing the Pavlik. Overall, she seems to be handling it pretty well. She is sleeping fine and is still able to sleep on her belly. I really haven't noticed it bothering her at all and she doesn't seem to fuss when I put it back on after having had it off.

I have been able to come up with clothing options that seem to work. I put on a onesie and baby leg warmers under the harness. After putting the harness on, I put something over the top. Dresses that are a little longer and have a wide skirt work well. Also, sweaters, jackets or longer tops. The kind that go over leggings seem to work well. I usually put a bib over everything to minimize the times I need to wash the harness. With a onesie and leg warmers on I can change her diaper without having to remove the harness every time. That is especially helpful at night.

Once a day I take the Pavlik off and change Melody and let her wiggle. Sometimes she gets a bath and that is when I can wash the harness. I can put her in her exersaucer to play and a couple things like that that she can't do in the harness.

March 4th Melody has a follow-up ultrasound of her hip to see if the Pavlik is helping. At that point in time we'll see if it is making a difference. So, we'll be staying this course until then and probably for a long time after that if this is working.

I have found my back hurting a lot since Melody's new equipment arrived. I finally figured out that in order to pick her up and turn her I have to hold her away from my body as her legs stick out so much. That is what seems to be causing me pain. So, I'm learning new ways to pick her up. I have also ordered a new carrier for her that will hopefully be easier on my back. Since we are facing many more months and perhaps years of carrying, it seems like a necessary purchase.

Now I need to shop for more leg warmers and I'm trying not to be sad about all the cute shoes, pants, and sleepers that she'll probably outgrow before she can wear. Such is the life with a Pavlik.

No comments:

Post a Comment