Sunday, June 6, 2010

Hip Abduction Helpful Hints

Several months ago Melody's doctor prescribed the "pavlik harness" for Melody's unstable hip and we've since moved up to the "rhino cruiser." Having a child in a hip abduction brace is a challenging adventure. One of my biggest frustrations has been the lack of help given when we left the doctor. I have had to come home and figure things out. The internet has been the greatest source of help when a few Moms have shared their tips.



So, to add to the motherly advice in cyberspace, here is a list of tips I've complied:



1) The week your child is in a new brace will be difficult. There are the emotional adjustments as well as the practical ones, like figuring out a whole new wardrobe. Give yourself time to adjust.



2) Once you've adjusted, what seemed overwhelming will soon become routine.



3) No matter how routine dealing with the brace becomes, there will be difficult and emotional moments. It just isn't easy or "normal." Ever.



4) Baby Gear is another difficulty. Finding things that accomodate your child's legs sticking straight out is difficult. Here are some of the things we've found that work:

- Macleran Techno XLR - I love this stroller and it accomodates Melody's brace perfectly. I really can't say enough good things about this one.

- High Chair - Chicco - the only one we could find without sides. The arms go up and down, so I put her in and then lower the arms over her legs. It works very well.

- Car seats have been our nemisis. We are using the Eddie Bauer Deluxe 3-in-1. It accomodates Melody's legs and is rear facing as well as converts to forward facing and then a booster. Those are really the only good points I have found so far. It was less expensive than other options and was available immediately when we needed it, so that is what we have been using.



5) Leg warmers - they are easily obtained on ebay for $2-4/pair. The are wonderful with the Pavlik harness and I could change diapers without having to remove the harness.

6) The rhino cruiser makes Melody very hot so we've been dealing with heat rash and eczema. I've found a light pair of leg warmers and a onesie are about all she can comforably wear. I leave off her socks and shoes as it allows her to stay cooler.

I'm sure this is not the last post, but those are my tips for now.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for your tips - my twin girls are in Spica casts right now and go into rhino harnesses in July. Praise the Lord for His strength and his blessings!!!

    ReplyDelete