Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Counting Our Blessings

Recently I was filling out an update on nutritional supplements. Since Melody's diagnosis I have been taking nutritional supplements which hopefully will help Melody's health overall. Though I know God is the great physician and healer, using what He has given to help our bodies is wise.

As I was reflecting on Melody's overall health so far, I realized how much we have to be grateful for.

* Melody has not had to return to the hospital at all since her birth.

* She has not had a single urinary tract infection despite four catheterizations each day. We have been told to use "clean" procedures, not "sterile" procedures, so the chance of infection is always there.

* She has had very few and relatively minor diaper rashes, which is pretty amazing considering she is almost always wet or messy due to her lack of muscle control and urogenic bladder.

* Melody has had no issues with her shunt.

* She sleeps well at night. I feed her at 6 0r 7 pm. She goes down at 8pm with very little fussing. I wake her to feed her between 10 - 11 and she goes right back to sleep until 6 or 7 am.

*Melody moves her hips and knees.

*Other than her spina bifida related issues, Melody has no other medical concerns.

I have to admit there are times when I feel overwhelmed. The catheterizations and my overly cautious diapering routines can alone be overwhelming. I admit sometimes just watching the lack of movement in Melody's feet make my heart ache and bring tears to my eyes. However, those are the times I try to remember all the blessings. That though there are challenges, there are so many easons to give praise.

Praise be to God from Whom all blessings flow!

1 comment:

  1. Sara,
    My heart aches for you in those sad moments where you feel overwhelmed and yet I feel overjoyed when I see all of the positive points that you brought up in regards to Melody's health. I have no words of wisdom because I can't possibly know how you are feeling.I can tell you how much I love and admire you and KNOW that He has equipped you already with EVERYTHING that you need as you walk this journey with Melody. I am praying for you always!
    ~Lisa

    ReplyDelete