Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Gestational Diabetes

The long and short of it is, today started with a 3 hour glucose tolerance test and about 5pm the nurse called to say, yes, you do have gestational diabetes. She was actually very surprised as my initial number was fairly low and she was sure I would test negative today. However, I seem to be hitting all the long-shot odds. I think I should go buy lottery tickets.

I arrived at 8am for my first needle stick and drinking the way too sugary drink. I was poked twice at 9am for the second blood draw and actually passed out on that one. She had to dig around for my vein, and that always makes me feel light-headed. I laid down to rest in one of the rooms and had my third blood draw and two needle sticks at 10am. We saw the doctor about 10:30 (for a 9am appointment), and then I had my final blood draw at 11am. Only one stick that time!

I was eating the snack I brought before we even hit the elevators. I do not do well without breakfast and I do not like sweet things in the morning, so it was double whammy.

Our next doctor appointments are on July 21st! One month with no doctors appointments. Yeah. At least, that was until I found out I need to attend a 2-hour gestational diabetes class next Tuesday. They will give me my glucose monitoring items then, as well as diet, etc. One week until 4 needle stick/day. I can't wait.

Returned home where our electricity was off for a scheduled maintence project. It was about 90 degrees here today, so I took my nap in an 80% house, which is not the most pleasant for me right now.

But, today is over and tomorrow is another day. Pray that I will not grow discouraged. This is just one more development that threatens to overwhelm me. Melody is due to arrive in 13 weeks! I can make it until then, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment