Wednesday, June 3, 2009

4 Siblings


Yes, Melody is not the only child in our lives. We are often asked how the other kids are handling everything. They are just so excited to be having a sister and will tell people when she is due, her name, etc., but that is about it. I'm finding the spina bifida really doesn't matter to them, she is still their baby sister.


David (11), as I mentioned a few days ago, is our sensitive son. He will get his emotions out or cry, often at something completely unrelated. He understands the most, but expresses it, too. You don't have to guess how he feels.


Elizabeth (8 1/2), is our creative, independent, and questioning child. You don't have to wonder how she feels or thinks as it is often yelled at you at high volume. She needs physical touch and her world can be righted with a few minutes of hugging/cuddling with Mom. She is very maternal and loves babies. She can't wait to babysit someday. She has really been looking forward to holding, loving, and feeding the new baby. We are working to prepare her that Melody might not be able to be cared for the way that she expects. She has already sewed Melody a teddy bear and if she has her way she'll pick out every one of Melody's outfits.


Hannah (7), is our studious studier. She just takes everything in. She has the hardest time expressing what she is feeling and we have to really explore sometimes to figure out what is going on inside her mind. We are learning she is also a perfectionist who hates to make mistakes. (Where could she get that from?) She loves puzzles and educational games and prefers those over just watching television. She takes things very literally, so we have to make sure we explain the meaning behind things. This is where I have to be careful what she overhears. In contrast, she is also our social child who thinks whenever two people are in a room, there must be a party.


Joel (3), he just knows he is having a baby sister named Melody and she is in Mommy's tummy. That's all! He is intense and loves sports. His favorite activity is to find every ball in the house (there are a lot!) and bounce them on the tile floors. I told the kids I'd give them a nickel for every ball they found under furniture, etc, and I paid out a lot more than I expected. I expect he'll have the hardest time when Melody arrives and he has to share Mommy's time.


Overall, the kids seem to be handling things well. I know they don't completely understand, but that is okay, we don't either. I find one of the hardest things about difficult times is having to deal not only with my own emotions, but those of my children as well. Yet, it is through those times that I really get a chance to teach my children how to handle adversity.

4 comments:

  1. It is SO amazing to me and David how GOD brought all of you Allens into our lives. Everttime I talk to you or see you or read the things that you write, I learn something!! And it makes me cry. You make me want to be the BEST mom that I could EVER be. I Love you guys So Very Much. I draw on your strength everyday and that says so much. I thank you so much for bei8ng in our lives. Please let us know if and when we can help. With WHATEVER!!! Our love to ALL of you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those wonderful kiddos will continue to take their cue from you! As they see that you count Melody as a treasure and miracle, it will NEVER matter to them if she is different from other babies. I bet they will handle things with grace, since you and Kevin are trusting in the Lord -the One who doesn't make mistakes...Libby

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great Picture of your sweet kiddos! We will also be praying for them as the transition of a new baby is always big (especially for Joel).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Sara and Kevin... Liz put me on to your blog, I will be praying for you. Glad I've found this way to stay in touch... I'm remembering my undergrad study of adult siblings of handicapped children... they all remembered heightened times of understanding meaning, purpose and love and were thankful to their sibling for shaping them into loving and understanding adults. You all have a head start, amen.... hugs... Cheryl (kalers.blogspot.com)

    ReplyDelete