Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Gestational Diabetes Class

Today I spent 2 hours in a class to learn how to manage gestational diabetes and how to use the glucose meter. It was informative, but it will take a lot of thinking about it for awhile to get the hang of it.

I am to test my blood sugar 4 times a day. First thing in the morning and then one hour after every meal. I took it for the first time after dinner, and my blood sugar was within the acceptable range. It will be interesting to see how it looks the next couple of days. The kids are intrigued with the finger prick pen, except for Hannah who won't even watch me do it. She is our squeamish one.

I think the diet is fairly manageable, except that vegetables are what I can eat unlimited amounts of and I can hardly stomach them when I am pregnant.

It is important that I keep my blood sugar under control for several reasons. One of the most important is that when Melody is born she needs surgery right away. If her blood sugars are out of control, that will delay her surgery. So... I am committed to eating healthy and helping both of us in the meantime. We'll see how it goes the next couple of days.

No comments:

Post a Comment