Friday, July 3, 2009

Theology

Who is God? Theology is the study of God. I've noticed during times of crisis, most people have a theology. Even those I had no idea have a belief in God have shared spiritual insights with me. I find it fascinating, but I have also found it troubling as many of the platitudes you hear during difficult times really don't hold up theologically. Do we really know who God is? I suppose it is normal to ponder who God is and how He fits into circumstances of life.

I've heard "God only gives special needs kids to special families." This sounds nice and is intended as a compliment to Kevin and I. However, is this theologically sound? If God only gave kids to people who could "handle them" our world would be a lot different. No abortion, no child abuse, no teenage parents.

Yet, if I completely understood God and could concisely describe Him in easily understood terms, He would cease to be God. The very definition of God is greater than our limited understanding will ever comprehend. Our church is reading and discussing The Knowledge of the Holy by A.W. Tozer this summer and I am finding the study timely for the thoughts in my mind.

Though my mind grapples with the seemingly contradictory aspects of God, I find my heart has peace. Intellectually I know I will never fully comprehend God, for if I did, He would no longer be God. In my heart, I have a peace that passes all understanding. A peace that God is bigger than any thought, imagination or description. A peace that my awesome God has all the details of my life under control and planned for His glory.

Isaiah 26:3 You will keep in perfect peace him whose mind is steadfast, because he trusts in you.

No comments:

Post a Comment