Friday, June 12, 2009

The Ranks of the Courageous

I recently read a dear friend's blog where she spoke of Courageous people. Their family has been enduring a 10+ week hospital stay with their youngest child. Through this, they've met many other courageous families who also have hospitalized children. People say "I don't know how you do it" or "I could never do that." The reality is, they do it, because they have to. It is amazing what God can help us endure when we need to.

I guess we're about to join the ranks of the courageous. It is a designation that none of us would have chosen, yet it was chosen for us. There are of course, many within the ranks of the courageous that I would say are MUCH more courageous than I. I also bristle at the thought of being called "courageous." Me, courageous? Not really, my courage is weak. But, I know that we will face the future, each day, each hour, each hurdle because we need to, for Melody's sake. We do it for all of our children, be courageous. Not because we feel courageous, but because we love them and we'd do anything for them, even attempt to be courageous.

I've also noticed that courageous people rarely do it alone. They have families and friends and often whole communities that lift them up and help them be courageous for their child. Perhaps those who help and encourage and bless these parents are truly courageous people as well.

God knew it would be hard for us to be courageous.

2 Corinthians 12:9 But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me.

Yes, on my own I am not courageous, but weak. With Christ, I can be courageous through His strength. Lord, give us the courage to handle the days ahead with your help.

2 comments:

  1. AMEN!

    May it be so...Libby

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so happy to hear that she is kicking in the ultra sound too!!! We are praying for you

    ReplyDelete