Monday, May 11, 2009

Mind Boggling

Many of you have no doubt seen the picture of baby Samuel Armas's hand reaching from the womb and grasping his surgeon's hand. When I first saw this picture the thought of in utero surgery was mind boggling. It still is! This was one of the first in utero spina bifida surgeries and it occured about 10 years ago, when our oldest son, David, was born.

Today, we are considering such a surgery for our baby. I'll try and post more information on that tomorrow. However, in order to even consider that route we must have amniocentesis done. We are scheduled for that at 10:45am tomorrow. I must say this proceedure strikes terror into my heart. There is a less the one percent chance of miscarriage due to the proceedure. If it knew I had over a 99% chance of winning in Vegas, gambling wouldn't be gambling, right? So.. if I think of Vegas odds, I feel better. :) I have always said that the only way I would have amnio is if there was a potential benefit to our baby. We believe that there is, so this is the next step.

Please pray for peace for me and safety for our baby during this proceedure tomorrow.

2 comments:

  1. Sara! Glad you figured out how to do the blog. If you want any help later, let me know. I can help you personalize it more. Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner on that. Praying for the amnio tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete