Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Torn in Two

Torn in two. That is how I feel. When I stand up, I feel like my body is going to come apart. The joys of a c-section. I still think the c-section is NOT the way to have a baby, but I'll do what I have to. 5 more weeks of recovery.

Torn in two is also how I feel having Melody at the hospital and the rest of the family at home. I am torn between wanting to be there with her, and wanting to be home with the rest of our family. I can't wait until we are all together.

Tomorrow I will get on the phone early and start rattling some cages about Melody's discharge. At this point, I don't really know what is keeping her there, except the very long list of things they want us to complete before bringing her home. Like a 2 hour class on parenting! I just want to know when it is so we can take it and get home.

Today I spent 1/2 hour with the physical therapists. They were very positive about Melody. The only exercise they showed me at this point was for her left leg, which is "tight" and needs to be stretched daily so it will go all the way straight. We will be sent home with a referral for PT, so we can get started right away. The PT's seemed to think her legs are both aligned right, including her feet. We initially thought the right one might be "clubbed" and need surgery. It is looking a lot stronger to me. I'm hoping they are right as it would be a surgery avoided down the road. Overall, I was encouraged by their report. At least 2 days a week of PT is going to be fun to fit into our schedule, but it is necessary if she is to walk someday.

I spent several hours at the hospital this afternoon with Melody. It was fun to feed and hold her and just enjoy her. She was awake and alert for a couple of hours at one point. She is doing so much better than yesterday. She has most of the tubes and things off of her and is eating well. She was obviously feeling better as well and didn't show any signs of being in pain. That makes Mommy happy. Watching your baby in pain is not easy.

2 comments:

  1. It sounds like Melody is being well taken care of and that you are receiving good advice. Did they refer you to Early Intervention for PT? Or did you get a referral for private sessions? If you don't already know about it, she will qualify for Early Intervention and their services are free and don't tap your insurance. PT is usually something you will need to utilize for many years to come and most insurance companies have a max. number of visits per year. If you can use EI than you won't have to max out your insurance visits, especially with having to go twice a week.

    Hope your recovery is speedy and that you are feeling whole again soon. While I can't relate to having kiddos at home and at the hospital, I do know what it is like to leave the hospital without my baby at the end of each visit. It is a tough thing to do. Praying that this season comes to an end quickly and that you will all be home together very soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, so many similarities between your experience and ours, down to the details of having the right leg weaker than the left, a tight leg and a right foot that initially looked possibly clubbed. Life with my daughter is so good, but so scary at times with all the unknowns in our future.

    ReplyDelete