Monday, August 3, 2009

Early September?

Today was another full day at the doctor. The most exciting news is that the doctor said he'd do an amniocentesis about Sept. 2 and if Melody's lungs are developed enough, do the c-section the next day. That means she could be here in one month! That would be doing the c-section at 37 weeks, which is the earliest considered "term."

We had a non-stress test (NST) first upon arriving at the doctors. They are checking Melody's heartbeat, movement and for contractions. Also, they check amniotic fluid levels. Melody was her truly active self, so gave them great readings and a round of hiccups, too. My fluid level was 12.1, which I would have no reference for, but after hearing the other patient next to me sent to Labor and delivery with fluid levels at 4.1, I have a bit more of a reference point.

We returned to the waiting room to wait for the scheduled ultrasound. Over one hour later a doctor emerged and told us it had only been 10 days from my last one, and it needs to be at least 2 weeks, so we would need to wait until next week. Fine with me, but couldn't we have figured this out BEFORE the hour plus wait?

We then only had to have my checkup before leaving, but apparently the doctor seeing patients (not to be confused with the doctor doing ultrasounds) had left for some reason. So... we waited another good long time for his return. When he finally saw us it was 4:45 and we had arrived for this whole ordeal at 1:30.

I had hoped to get out of the NST scheduled for Thursday with the great results of today, but no such luck. I will have NST's Mondays and Thursdays until Melody arrives. The doctor is still concerned about Melody's size, and since we can't confirm growth with an ultrasound until next week, NST's will rule out problems in the meantime. Fluid levels are a good indicator of whether the baby is continuing to grow or not. Apparently, if fluid levels drop, the baby may not be growing appropriately.

As long as Melody's NST's and ultrasound continue to show appropriate growth and fluid levels, we will go with the 37 week c-section plan. If there is a problem with anything on the NST, I could be sent to labor and delivery for a c-section at any time. I plan to go to the one on Thursday by myself and figure I can always call Kevin if they decide to admit me.

Personally, I am not worried about Melody's growth. When I was pregnant with Elizabeth, this was their concern and they even had the entire neo-natal team in the delivery room when she arrived 4 weeks early. She arrived with 9 and 10 apgar scores and we were home from the hospital the next day! We do have some pretty short/small genes in our family, so I figure Melody inherited those.

The 37- week c-section plan comes from my history of pre-term labor. Both girls were born at 36 weeks. The doctor seems a bit concerned that Melody will arrive before her scheduled c-section, and the is one of our concerns as well. It is best for Melody if she is delivered before I go into labor and with the neurosurgeon prepared to do the closure surgery soon after. Of course, we can go with and emergency c-section plan, but that is not best.

Anyway, my prayer is that I will make it to early September. I would love to have the c-section without having any labor. Hannah's c-section was performed when I was already in quite a bit of pain. I think I was in transition labor. I'd prefer to avoid that!

No comments:

Post a Comment