Monday, August 17, 2009

Heading to the Hospital

Tomorrow we will be admitting Hannah to the hospital. The doctor gave us a choice, watch the cyst carefully at home, or go ahead and admit her so they can do IV antibiotics. The fact that the cyst has grown is indication that the oral antibiotics are not strong enough. The cyst is in her neck, so the concern is if it cuts off her air way, impedes swallowing, or impedes her vocal ability. Obviously, these are not things to mess around with. Based on the fact that I will be 36 weeks next week (which is when both the other girls arrived) we felt it might be better to admit her now. If we waited for the ENT visit Monday, we could end up in the hospital next week. We did ask they not call us in the middle of the night, but in the morning when a bed opens up. I'm hoping fairly early tomorrow we can get in. Going this route we will see an ENT tomorrow or Wednesday, they'll start her on IV antibiotics immediately and we'll know if draining or surgery are needed much faster.

Hannah is being a real trooper and handling everything very well so far. She is even talking about being brave when they put in the IV tomorrow. Pray that she really is. She happily packed her little bag and is all ready to go. She feels great and doesn't have a fever or really any other symptoms except a little trouble swallowing. We have child care for the other 3 covered for the next two days and then we'll see what the future holds from there. The plan is for Kevin and I to both go and get her settled and Kevin to stay until they at least have the IV in. Kevin will work tomorrow and then trade places with me at the hospital and he will stay the night with Hannah.

My appointments went fine today, too. They did measure a large contraction and a couple smaller ones on the NST today, which I think was the first time. I have had them, just not during the test. I have had a couple contractions per hour tonight, but I'm hoping it is just stress and they will slow down. But, I will be only a couple floors from where I need to be tomorrow, just in case! Melody is still measuring small for her gestational age, but I'm not surprised. I'll have another NST Thursday morning.

I am doing much better emotionally today, so I am praying for continued peace throughout tomorrow. Thanks for all your prayers and offers of help.

1 comment: