Monday, August 10, 2009

Melody's Growth and Great Frustrations

This afternoon we had a NST, doctor visit and ultrasound. Melody is estimated to be about 4 pounds, so that is over 1 pound growth in the last two weeks. She continues to measure very small (not even in the 5%), but the doctor was encouraged that her growth continued upward. Her head is measuring the smallest, which is interesting as it could be very enlarged from hydrocephaly. All else looked as it should at the appoinments. We will return Thursday for another NST and a consulation with the NICU (neo-natal intensive care unit).

This morning took me from a completely relaxed state after our two nights away to completely stressed out. I simply attempted to call the ENT and schedule Hannah for her visit this week as specified by urgent care. I also have a referral for this appointment. However, the ENT office informs me that out children's medical insurance was no longer effective as of JULY 1st! No, I tell them, that is not true. I just went through all this yesterday with the pharmacy. Apparently, Loma Linda has decided they no longer accept out insurance. However, I have been told that occurs on Aug. 1st, then Sept. 1st and now July 1st. I have already put in a request with CA Healthly Families to change our children's insurance to one Loma Linda DOES accept, however, that does not happen until Sept. Anyway, they refused to make me an appointment and wouldn't even let me pay cash for one as my kids are on a state program and they could get into trouble for accepting cash. So... I am still trying to sort the whole mess out. Blue Cross says I have an EPO, and can see any doctor I wish. I was especially irritated that Hannah's pediatrician and the provider relations person at Loma Linda did not deem it necessary to call us back today.

Pray for me as I hit the phones again in the morning. I am in tears in short order, which doesn't help me to calmly and rationally explain and work with the insurance company and doctors. Pray that they will return calls and that this can be sorted out. I think I can take Hannah to an ENT in Riverside with our insurance, but I know transferring her CT scans, etc from Saturday will be another huge mess. And then, if this becomes an on-going issues, she will have been seen initially by a doctor who won't be following up with her. Due to Melody's needs we have to be with Loma Linda for the Spina Bifida clinic and all the kids have to have the same provider.

Hannah's neck is still swollen, though it is smaller. I had hoped it would look better than it does by now. It is very hard and painful to the touch. She is not eating well as swallowing hurts her. I would really like to talk with a doctor this week and find out what their plan is. I have no idea if this is something that can wait or if it is more urgent. Of course, if it doesn't get smaller and clear up with the antibiotics, then it is more urgent.

1 comment:

  1. Just take a deep breath and remember that we are all here for you guys and praying you through. Not much else to say, but that we are praying for you:) If you need a good laugh go check out the for sale sign on my blog:)

    ReplyDelete